Monday, July 22, 2013

Chapter 2: The Season of Success, Part II and III

II.

“I never knew you were afraid of heights,” Tracy said presently. “I mean, you’ve been on airplanes.”

“I drink a lot on airplanes, too."

"Well...we're on the 20th floor here. You're okay with this."

"You've never seen me stand on the top of this building and look down though, have you. And I could never ride on a ski-lift, for example.”

"I see.”

Nick cast a very quick glance at her before returning his attention to the road. She was looking thoughtful.

“Standing on the edge of the roof of this building wouldn't scare you at all, I take it?”

Tracy shrugged. “Actually, no. I admit I've never climbed up to the roof of a tall building just to look down it, but I've climbed up to the top of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse several times for that very purpose. There’s a beautiful view from up there.”

Nick shuddered, only partly exaggerated.

“But when you're standing on the top of a ski slope, that’s just adrenalin, isn’t it? You stand at the top of the ski run, and your heart starts pumping, and down you go! It’s fantastic.”

Nick shuddered again.

“I suppose you go parasailing, too,” he said, slightly enviously.

“I have," Tracy said. "But I can't do it any more because of that clause in my contract. No parasailing, no skydiving, no motorcycling. It doesn’t allow me to go skiing, either – but hell, if I ever do get to San Moritz I’m going to go skiing.”

“You don’t skydive, do you?” Nick demanded.

Tracy laughed. “No, no. I'm not crazy. I've never had any desire to go sky diving. I'd be too scared to jump out of the plane, I promise you.  And bungee jumping is just stupid in my opinion. I do love to ride motorcycles, though – I miss that.”

“You’re full of surprises,” Nick told her. “I didn’t know you knew how to ride a motorcycle.”

“I learned on dirt bikes when I was a kid…did a bit of motocross. Then I got my real cycle…a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic. But when I moved to Hollywood, I started getting away from it. Too much traffic out there. And when I got the gig on The Coldest Equations, of course I didn’t have any choice thanks to my contract.”

Nick chuckled. “They missed an advertising bonanza there, I would think. Miranda Rainbird on a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, zooming down the highway after Mr. White. Kawasaki would have probably paid millions for the product placement.”

“Maybe we should put that up to Charlie, and see if he’ll write it into a script for next season. (Charlie Woodbridge and his wife Margery were the two main writers for The Coldest Equations.) If there is a next season.”

Tracy reached out and knocked on the dashboard.

"I wish you'd stop worrying about that," Nick said. "Of course there's going to be a third season. You saw all the fans show up - at an OTR convention for goodness sake - just to see me! And the new season is absolutely fantastic."

Tracy nodded "Yes, of course, you're right," she said, putting more confidence into her voice then she actually felt.
 
Nick nodded sharply. “So, the only problem with you chasing me on a motorcycle next season is that  I don’t know how to drive a motorcycle.”

“Well, you wouldn’t have to drive one,” Tracy laughed.  “You’d sit on a cycle on a dolly strapped to the back of a car, the way they do. But they could film me doing it for real. That would be really fun. I think I will mention it to Charlie.”

Nick shook his head and smiled. She probably would, too.Her adventurous spirit, that's what he loved most about her. Probably what her fans loved about her, too.

Fans...the fans for this series were great.  Nick chuckled.

"What's so funny?" asked Tracy.

"Just thinking back to the convention. It was fun, wasn't it? I really enjoyed it. And all the folks there...they loved me."

Tracy smiled. “Everyone loves a villain,” she said. “Even me.” 

She leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek. 

True to form, the super cautious Nick air-kissed her back, without taking his eyes off the road.

III.

As was their usual custom, Nick dropped Tracy off a block away from the hotel and then continued on his own into the parking lot. The two actors preferred to maintain the fiction that they were not an item. For that reason, they maintained two separate suites, albeit adjacent ones.

When Tracy entered Nick's suite through the connecting door, it was to find Nick in the kitchenette, gazing thoughtfully into the refrigerator.

Tracy sat down on the couch, picked up the TV remote control and turned on the TV. "We got back just in time, Nick," she said.

"You're not going to watch the premiere episode after all?" Nick queried.

“No," she said. "His Kind of Woman."

 “With Robert Mitchum?”Nick demanded, delighted.

“With Vincent Price!”

Nick laughed.  “I’ll prepare a plate of cheese and crackers, you choose the wine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment